MENDOTA – Firefighters responded to a blaze at the Royal Smoke Shop, 1001 Main St., Mendota, at 4:12 a.m. March 18.
Upon arrival, flames were showing through the west windows. The fire was attacked and under control in 15 minutes. Firefighters stayed on the scene until approximately 6 a.m. to insure that all the hidden fire was extinguished.
A State Fire Marshal investigator arrived at the scene at about 9 a.m. and determined that the fire started in electrical wires running to an outside light.
No dollar damage was estimated, however, most of the contents inside the Smoke Shop were destroyed. The building structure is repairable. There was slight smoke damage to the other units within the business complex.
Twenty-two firefighters from Mendota and Troy Grove responded with two engines, two heavy rescue squads and one ambulance. There were no injuries.